A Visit to the Huntington

On Saturday I had the pleasure of visiting the Huntington Library in San Marino, CA.  Although I've lived within 100 miles of it for the past twelve years, I had never been to the library. What a wonderful place! As I went with students from the college, we were given the "behind the scenes" tour that included the cataloging area, the conservation laboratory, and the photography studio. The conservation lab, in particular, impressed me. As someone who used to buy rice paper by the small sheet for book repairs, I was bowled over by the huge rolls of the paper mounted on the wall like wrapping paper rolls in department store gift wrap departments. (I know I'm dating myself here. Do gift wrap departments even exist any more?) The equipment and workspaces were first class. I asked a conservator who was working on a personal project where he had taken his training. He had attended a post-graduate program in England. He was working on an old family Bible, painstakingly removing damaged paper from the spine.
In the catalog area we saw an 1808 imprint with an exquisite fore-edge painting. In the library's display area we were treated to the Gutenberg Bible and the Audubon Birds of America in the double elephant folio.
But wait, there's more. We had a tour of the gardens - just beautiful even in January. And then I spent more than an hour in the house itself, now a gallery of British and European paintings, sculpture, and decorative arts. I kept coming up to works that I had seen only in art books previously. Not just the famous (and overly familiar) Blue Boy and Pinkie, but many, many works by Reynolds, Gainsborough, and Romney. I know I didn't see even 10% of what was available. I'll definitely be going back to the Huntington soon.  If you are visiting Los Angeles, be sure to plan a visit to the Library and Art Galleries. It will be an outstanding experience for any art lover.

14 comments:

Liana said...

I love the Huntington! I really envy you the 'behind the scenes' tour, too. I remember reading that the Huntington had more tourists from Japan (where it's heavily promoted by tour leaders) than from the US. Amazing. We used to go every year when we were out here. I think I had read about it in gardening books, etc. No one knew what you were talking about then if you mentioned it.

We're going to the LA Arboretum today. I love the Queen Anne stables, and the peacocks of course.

SewingLibrarian said...

Liana, I've never been to the Arboretum, although I've had email contact with its librarian. I hope you had a good visit. There are so many places to visit in Los Angeles. With small children and a husband who doesn't like to drive there, I depend on field trips from the college or other organizations to see these kinds of places. But I'm thinking of organizing a family vacation around kid-friendly attractions in the L A area.

Reggie Darling said...

I've only been to the Huntington once, many years ago, and I was all agog over it. Thank you for jogging my memory of it. I must return when I am next in California. Reggie

SewingLibrarian said...

Reggie, I'm sure you would love another visit. After looking at pictures of your lovely country house, I know you would appreciate the paintings as well as the silver and other beautiful objects.

Frugal Scholar said...

I was a reader at the Huntington. I did some research there one summer. Wonderful! My husband grew up in Pasadena, so we visited many times. I miss it. Also missed: the wonderful Norton Simon Museum.

SewingLibrarian said...

FS, lucky you to spend time there researching. I think one of the joys of scholarship, at least in the humanities, is handling the artifacts of those scholars who came before us. And even in the sciences, one can sense the presence of those early scientists. At the university where I used to work, the chemistry majors did a project their senior year where they traced back from one of their current chem teachers through theses and mentors all the way back to the early nineteenth century chemists. It was a good learning experience for them to realize they were building on all that came before them. Well, I"m getting off topic. I hope you can visit the Huntington and the Norton Simon museum again soon.

Liana said...

What a wonderful project for them! I remember being told in college that my piano professor could trace his teachers all the way back to Bach. Not so unusual I think, as Nadia Boulanger had many, many students and she was a link to Bach, but it was fun to know, and it does give you a feeling of sudden connection to history.

FS, I agree the Norton Simon is less prominent than it perhaps should be, especially for out-of-state visitors. I think of it every year during the Rose Parade. :)

SewingLibrarian said...

Crunchycon, I remember seeing those portraits on playing cards, too! And also in a children's card game that involved making matching sets of famous paintings.

BethsMomToo said...

I loved visiting the Huntington while visiting my son who was living in the Pasadena area at the time. He's back on the East Coast now ... but I'd love a return visit to the Huntington!

SewingLibrarian said...

I hope you get to visit again soon. Artt and gardens are definitely worth repeat visits.

Shelley said...

Sounds wonderful. We have distant family in Claremont, outside of LA. The next time we visit I'll definitely be thinking about Huntington. I attended a bookbinding class for about a year and made a proper book as part of the initial training. Unfortunately at the time the cost of travel and the class was extravagant, but watching some of the repair work so lovingly done was really amazing.

SewingLibrarian said...

Shelley, after reading about your many visits to museums while traveling, I feel certain you would love the Huntington.

EPC said...

How lovely to visit and tour! I love visiting California - to have the seasons yet still mild weather (I was in Laguna Beach last time) is perfection.

Elle

SewingLibrarian said...

Elle, thanks for visiting. I see from your blog that you are an Hermes lover, also. Did you find me through Mai Tai's blog?